How would you test this? - photon acceleration

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

lw1990

How would you test this? - photon acceleration

Unread post by lw1990 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:00 am

We all know objects like comets accelerate toward the Sun and decelerate away from the Sun.

My hypothesis is that a photon fired away from the Sun (and away from the the Earth/Moon) would accelerate - in other words, not act like a comet, but basically do the opposite.

However I don't know how in the world I could possibly design an experiment to test this... any ideas?

Perhaps it would be easier to test/show that a photon fired toward the Earth/Moon/Sun would decelerate..?

lw1990

Re: How would you test this? - photon acceleration

Unread post by lw1990 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:28 am

Nevermind, appears this has already been shown by measuring redshift of light leaving a gravitional field (it accelerates)

willendure

Unread post by willendure » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:46 am

lw1990 wrote:Nevermind, appears this has already been shown by measuring redshift of light leaving a gravitional field (it accelerates)
Decelerates, that is what red shifted implies. If it accelerated it would be blue shifted.

lw1990

Unread post by lw1990 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:52 am

You are right, my understanding of redshift was wrong, it should be blueshifting because it should be accelerating, I need to look into this as it could dismantle my entire theory if light actually decelerates as it moves out of a gravitional field :o

lw1990

Unread post by lw1990 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:17 pm

In a bose-einstein-condensate, light should slow down as it enters the condensate, and speed up as it leaves the condensate (the slow down and speed up not being instant, but a gradient progression, the largest jump in speed difference being at the boundary of the condensate, but still continuing to have differential speed throughout the condensate. It should be slowest at the center of the condensate)

This seems to match bose-einstein-condensate experiments

But the Earth's atmosphere is one big weak bose-einstein-condensate to a photon, and the mainstream seems to be saying a photon becomes less energetic (slower) as it leaves the Earth?? That is not consistent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueshift

Photons climbing out of a gravitating object become less energetic. This loss of energy is known as a "redshifting", as photons in the visible spectrum would appear more red. Similarly, photons falling into a gravitational field become more energetic and exhibit a blueshifting. ... Note that the magnitude of the redshifting (blueshifting) effect is not a function of the emitted angle or the received angle of the photon—it depends only on how far radially the photon had to climb out of (fall into) the potential well.[3][4]
I think they need to measure the redshift and blueshift of photons entering/leaving a bose-einstein-condensate to figure out what is going on!