Google Earth Atlantis??

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

tholden

Google Earth Atlantis??

Unread post by tholden » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:47 pm

Found via google Earth off the West coast of Africa:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/39274

I've checked this on Google Earth and it does check out. Google claims it's an artifact of mapping technologies but they don't explain why there'd be just the one case of it on the planet...

saturnine

Re: Google Earth Atlantis??

Unread post by saturnine » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Any idea what the scale of the image is?

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:23 am

saturnine wrote:Any idea what the scale of the image is?
I was going to ask that. :D

It's probably just a publicity stunt for the new underwater Google thing. But having said that it may be worth looking at places such as the coast of Brittany where the standing stones go off into the sea; the shores of the Black Sea; mouth of the Nile; coast of India etc.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

Heftruck

Unread post by Heftruck » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:31 am

saturnine wrote:Any idea what the scale of the image is?
The rectangle is about 80 miles on 100 miles and those lines are about 1 mile across.

I see no point in having this thread here.

MOD NOTE: Thread relocated

moses

Unread post by moses » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:10 pm

I see no point in having this thread here. Heftruck
The point is what caused such a lowering of this piece of land, if indeed it
was lowered. The answer is likely to be electric.
Mo

tholden

Unread post by tholden » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:33 pm

The guys who lived there were probably all expert swimmers...

moses

Unread post by moses » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:49 am

tholden wrote:The guys who lived there were probably all expert swimmers...
You mean expert snorkellers ?
Mo

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:57 am

Didn't one of them have his own TV show some years back?
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

Heftruck

Unread post by Heftruck » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:19 pm

moses wrote:I see no point in having this thread here. Heftruck
The point is what caused such a lowering of this piece of land, if indeed it
was lowered. The answer is likely to be electric.
Mo
Those lines are being explained as being artifacts from the sonar process, in effect making the site another completely uninteresting place. Sounds plausible enough.

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 pm

As a scuba diver I ask...what is the depth of this underwater grid?
It seems funny that the article only states that it is "deep in the Atlantic Ocean." I am assuming that it is 'thousands' of feet deep.
That it is so huge 80x100 mi. with the lines being 1 mile wide, has to cast doubt on it being any kind of street grid.
The explanation that it is a remnant of the sonar grid will not, I would think, hold up for long if it is untrue. It does beg the question of why are there not remnants of the sonar grid in other places? Certainly, this is something to keep an eye on, but no conclusions can be drawn from just a picture.
Also, as a related topic, wasn't there a thread on [url2=http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/656648/posts]sunken megalithic remains [/url2]off the coast of Cuba at depths in the thousands of feet? I could not find it using the search tool. There has been no new information on that one.

nick c

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:44 pm

More detailed explantion of the sonar grid lines angle:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/160088/g ... ained.html

If I remeber correctly, Plato said that Atlantis was built as a series of concentric circles.
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

Krackonis

Unread post by Krackonis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:53 pm

Grey Cloud wrote:More detailed explantion of the sonar grid lines angle:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/160088/g ... ained.html

If I remeber correctly, Plato said that Atlantis was built as a series of concentric circles.

And I think given this sites focus, we can safely assume Atlantis was simply "The City of the Gods" or basically, the prototypical Saturn in the sky above.
Neil Thompson

EET

"We are the universe trying to understand itself." - Delen, Babylon 5

Grey Cloud

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi Krackonis,
You wrote:
And I think given this sites focus, we can safely assume Atlantis was simply "The City of the Gods" or basically, the prototypical Saturn in the sky above.
Er, not really. This site's focus has nothing to do with what Plato wrote. And it is seldom a good idea to assume anything about someone as intelligent and subtle as Plato.
The great Way is simple
Tao Te Ching, 53.

Krackonis

Unread post by Krackonis » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:22 am

Grey Cloud wrote:Hi Krackonis,
You wrote:
Er, not really. This site's focus has nothing to do with what Plato wrote. And it is seldom a good idea to assume anything about someone as intelligent and subtle as Plato.
I'm not assuming, I am relating obvious correlations. Solon relates the city as described to him by Priests in Egypt. It's clear that it follows the same construction as Henges and other circular formations (the Buddhas Wheel Throne etc.). The Norse also considered it a city in the sky where Gods lived with the dead.. I don't think it's that far a stretch.

Plato was a barely conscious human at the beginning of consciousness. His works are brilliant, but as he and Socrates have described in detail, they "hear negative voices" that tell them what not to do. Honestly, I don't hear voices.

Putting Plato on a pedestal, like Einstein, only leads to people being followers of him and not thinkers with him.
Neil Thompson

EET

Krackonis

Unread post by Krackonis » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:28 am

nick c wrote:As a scuba diver I ask...what is the depth of this underwater grid?
It seems funny that the article only states that it is "deep in the Atlantic Ocean." I am assuming that it is 'thousands' of feet deep.
That it is so huge 80x100 mi. with the lines being 1 mile wide, has to cast doubt on it being any kind of street grid.
The explanation that it is a remnant of the sonar grid will not, I would think, hold up for long if it is untrue. It does beg the question of why are there not remnants of the sonar grid in other places? Certainly, this is something to keep an eye on, but no conclusions can be drawn from just a picture.
Also, as a related topic, wasn't there a thread on [url2=http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/656648/posts]sunken megalithic remains [/url2]off the coast of Cuba at depths in the thousands of feet? I could not find it using the search tool. There has been no new information on that one.

nick c
Interestingly the grid on the oceans bottom is made up of little dots or divits. I was wondering if an electrical strike on through miles of ocean would make a pattern such as this. Given the criss-crossing of dotted lines on the ocean we can safely consider the possibility. Though, honestly I am unsure if any experiments have been made regarding arcing through any amount of water.
Neil Thompson

EET