Electro-Magnetic Geomorphology

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

seasmith

Re: Electro-Magnetic Geomorphology

Unread post by seasmith » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Gary,

Done.
Great photos ! Saw your comments this time, and had no trouble posting my own totally inane commentreaux.

s

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks s, glad it is working OK, now I can explain what is happening, by my interpretation anyway, in some of those images.
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

CharlesChandler

Unread post by CharlesChandler » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:14 am

GaryN wrote:Confirmation I'd say that similar shattered outcrops in my own neighbourhood were from lightning, and not freeze-thaw. So how much of the worlds surface rock has been affected by lightning? Rather a lot, most likely.
Here's another reference for this phenomenon, for your collection.

Hibbert-Ware, S., 1822: A description of the Shetland Islands; comprising an account of their scenery, antiquities and superstitions. Edinburgh: A. Constable and Co.
At a small distance from Funzie, a remarkable instance of the effect of thunder, took place about the middle of the last century. A rock 105 feet long, 10 feet broad, and in some places more than 4 feet thick, was in an instant torn from its bed, and broken into three large and several lesser fragments. One of these, 26 feet long, 10 feet broad, and 4 feet thick, was simply turned over. The second, which was 28 feet long, 17 broad, and 5 feet in thickness, was hurled across a high point of a rock to the distance of 50 yards. Another broken mass, about 40 feet long, was thrown still farther, but in the same direction, quite into the sea. There were also many lesser fragments scattered up and down.
I'm following this because I believe that these plasma discharges are part of the force that causes earthquakes. I'm also convinced that something similar is responsible for the Seneca Guns, though the discharge is from poorly conducting soil storing a charge into a nearby body of water.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll spend the rest of the day sitting in a small boat, drinking beer and telling dirty jokes.

Volcanoes
Astrophysics wants its physics back.
The Electromagnetic Nature of Tornadic Supercell Thunderstorms

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks Charles. I had seen that account before, but had forgotten about it. I will forward that link to Mr.Knight, who appears to have absolutely no desire to consider lightning or other electical forces for anything other than mountain top rock shattering, but I imageine that would be the case for all standard model geologists as it could be the thin end of the wedge for having to reconsider many geomorphology assumptions.
I did travel through the Drakensberg mountains in about 1975, truly spectacuar, but I'd like to be able to visit again to be able to view it all from a different perspective. Glaciation in the Drakensberg has been a contoversial subject amongst geologists, and they use the term "niche glaciation", as they see what, to them, are classic glaciation features, but are most likely electical in nature. Maybe the rounded boulders, even in the higher elevation river beds, demanded formation by glaciers, but from what I can tell by avaialble images, many of those rounded boulders exhibit the same diversity of colours and compositions that I see in my own little creek, and they are not a type of rock that exists as outcrops in the local mountains. Some would appear to be metamorphic. I will not believe that boulders of this nature can be rounded off and smoothed in the short distance between a mountain top and the locations where they are found, not mechanically possible.
I could be looking at a typical creek in my local neighbourhood here.
A Drakensberg cirque:
Also, I have found many blocks of basalt around here that have been ejected from outcrops. One is about 30 feet on a side, 20 tall, and the side that was attached to the outcrop is all gnarly, pocked, discoloured, melted and blackened, whereas the outer surface is smooth and of uniform consistency. Evidence of a very energetic event IMO, and I think a scientific examination, if I could find anyone willing to perform such, would easily confirm that.
In order to change an existing paradigm you do not struggle to try and change the problematic model. You create a new model and make the old one obsolete. -Buckminster Fuller

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:43 pm

The Drakensberg mountains are another of those instances where granite is found on top of sandstone. The granite is up to 1400 meters thick. Somehow that granite was formed into those spectacular mountains and all the sharp tipped peaks, along with the cirques and canyons and rounded river boulders. So there must have been a source, or sources, of magma coming up from below, over many square miles, and somehow, viscosity be damned, being pushed up into mountains and sharp peaks, etc. Glaciers, erosion and weathering are invoked again to shape that granite.
So what other method could possibly create these features? A hot dust falling from above? Of granite? It would need to cool very quickly to retain those sharply peaked shapes, otherwise it would have slumped due to molten granites relatively low viscosity. The only process, to my way of thinking, is inductive heating of the originally existing sandstone, which becomes the granite, and with an upward force pulling up those peaks, but then why wouldn't those peaks just slump too? Good question.
Inductive heating is most likely the cause of such geological features as the Siberian and Deccan traps, as no sources of magma have been identified, and there would have to be numerous sources to create an area the size of those traps. What is the source of the inductive heating? Microwave plasmas, from the Sun, during mega-CMEs, IMO. The Sun, as well as being considered as a magnetron type plasma source, should be recognised as being a scalar wave generator, with longitudinal waves of potential, and having a full analogue to acoustic waves. The heating of subsurface magmas is most likely due to an inductive heating process, though ohmic heating from underground electrical currents produced through associated processes is not to be overlooked, but only after inductive heating to the point of the ionising temperature. The seemingly increased incidence of earthquakes and volcanic activity during times of Solar instability is not, to me, simply coincidental.

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:13 pm

The only process, to my way of thinking, is inductive heating of the originally existing sandstone, which becomes the granite, and with an upward force pulling up those peaks, but then why wouldn't those peaks just slump too? Good question.
Ah! The most likely answer is that the granite peaks do not slump because they are created not by high heat, but from inductive recrystalisation. This also explains the great diversity of rock types found in pebbles, cobbles and boulders that are found in rivers, streams and creeks, even though the underlying bedrock is mostly of basalt in my local area, with no outcrops of the type of material that the pebbles are composed of anywhere within the river valleys.

Pebbles are greatly unappreciated as indicators of energetic EM processes having occured on Earths surface. One of the puzzles that I first wondered about was the heart or kidney shaped ones. Though many heart shaped pebbles are carved like that, many can be found in river pebble beds or on ocean beaches that have the same shape. The V can be quite sharp, looking as if the pebble has perhaps been impacted with a sharp object, and there can be inclusions of other rock types in the V. This is a natural heart shaped one:
Sharp V pebble:
This one suggests that some force, concentrated at the V, has recrystalised a band of the rock.
Pretty common:
I can find dozens of such pebbles in a small area of the beach sometimes, also cobble and boulder sized ones. Anyone else living near pebbles beds or beaches notice them too? How would tumbling produce these shapes?

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:26 pm

"regular EU" theory is dogmatic as it basically ignores and insists that natural weather and most physics is false and irrelevant!" As it stands now, water and its domain of behavior is virtually invisible to the EU theory--even on the Earth!
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/forum/phpB ... e87#p90310

There are zero simulations that can show the erosion by water of any of the main rivers anywhere in the world. There are models, but they are all unsupported by simulation using the known properties of the bedrock, water volumes and flow rates, and any amount of time you'd like, even billions of years. The laminar flow model leads to the depositing of fine particles in the river bed, and almost zero flow against the river banks. You can see that for yourself along any straightish, even fairly short section of river. There are no simulations that can show the rounding of what must once have been originally sharp edged, irregular shaped pieces or chunks or rock, into roundish, smooth surfaced pebbles or cobbles, and certainly not the larger rounded boulders. No geosciences department has offered me any scientific evidence for their models, and most will not even reply to such enquiries.
The idea that sudden, enormously destructive forces must have performed such work is indeed hard to accept. What happened to all the people, and all the rest of life on the surface, how are we still here, how could we ever have evolved if catastrophes have occurred frequently? Yes, you'd have to believe what the Bible and other ancient texts tell us, that we were created, all the animals, birds, insects, plants, all created by a mystical God.

The New River really is a puzzle to standard model, billions of years old say geologists. According to wikipedia:
Despite its name, the New River is considered by some geologists to be one of the oldest rivers in the world.[7] The river is sometimes said to be second in age only to the Nile River and thus the oldest in North America.[13] The New River flows in a generally south-to-north course, against the southwest-to-northeast topography and geological texture of the Appalachian Mountains, contrasting with the west-to-east flow of most other nearby major rivers in Virginia and North Carolina. This peculiar direction, together with the river's many cuts through various erosion-resistant Appalachian rocks, may mean that the New River's formation preceded uplift of the Appalachian Mountains themselves.[7]
So the Appalachians must have risen very, very slowly so the existing river would have eroded the river bed in order that the flow continue. As must have the Potomac and other, smaller rivers which cut through the Appalachians.

Downcutting. Despite the known mechanics of a laminar flow, where river bed sedimentation is seen even in fast flowing straight or straightish sections of river, and where flow at the river banks is near zero, or even against the river flow, downcutting is applied everywhere as the mechanism for all river deepening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downcutting

The Appalachians are believed to be about 480 million years old, so the New River, in order to have existed before the upthrusting of the Appalations, must be considerably older.
By the end of the Mesozoic era, the Appalachian Mountains had been eroded to an almost flat plain.[16] It was not until the region was uplifted during the Cenozoic Era that the distinctive topography of the present formed.[17] Uplift rejuvenated the streams, which rapidly responded by cutting downward into the ancient bedrock. Some streams flowed along weak layers that define the folds and faults created many millions of years earlier. Other streams downcut so rapidly that they cut right across the resistant folded rocks of the mountain core, carving canyons across rock layers and geologic structures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Mountains

Rapid downcutting through resistant folded rocks. A terrain map shows the cutting through the mountain ridges:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?ll=37.26421 ... 7&t=p&z=12

This whole explanation, to me, is one big fantasy. The standard geological model is a total farce. Before the observation of other planets, that are without any plate tectonics, uplifting, subduction, water flow, etc, it may have been excusable to have to rely on millions or billions of years of slow change, as there really was no other possible explanation. There is no longer an excuse, and the non-science that is present day geology needs to be dragged, kicking and screaming no doubt, into the present day. Erosion, weathering, channel cutting, excavation, and I say mountain uplifting, can all be shown to be produced by intense EM and plasma forces.
Because we see geological features on Mars that look similar to features found on Earth, and we KNOW that those features were produced by water and/or wind erosion, some now believe that Mars MUST have had water too, but as there are also features on the Moon that look like they have been carved by water, did the Moon have running water also? Do mountains on the Moon suggest Earth-like geological processes too? No, that would be silly, they are obviously from collisions with a smaller moon! :roll:
'The big splat': Moon's mountain ranges were 'formed from collision with smaller moon'
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z2lyqeK0W0

For me, 99% of surface modifications are by extreme energy EM, 1% erosion and weathering. Maybe I'm MAD? :D

starbiter

Unread post by starbiter » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi Gary

You said,

"For me, 99% of surface modifications are by extreme energy EM, 1% erosion and weathering. Maybe I'm MAD?"

me again,

I went looking for what You say above. Didn't find it.

The drainages of today could never cause the canyons we are left with. But a retreating ocean could could cut through fresh sediment. And engorged rivers could prevent growth as the surrounding dry areas grew, due to accumulating dust, gravel, rocks, and boulders from above. This also seems to create canyons. Just my catastrophic view.

If i find a rille on Earth like the ones on Mars or the Moon i'll be thrilled. I'll shout it out to the world.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sit ... L7fMrCZjRU

I do see electric activity in the form of metamorphic rock. That's where the current was high. It twists the layers of rock. I'll post some images on the dune thread shortly.

Can You give examples of areas that were electrically sculpted please? I do enjoy your posts and agree with most.

Are You coming to the EU conference?

michael

"
I Ching #49 The Image
Fire in the lake: the image of REVOLUTION
Thus the superior man
Sets the calender in order
And makes the seasons clear

www.EU-geology.com

http://www.michaelsteinbacher.com

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Hi Michael,
Rilles can have many curves, few curves, or they can be fairly straight. They usually have steep walls and flat bottoms. Lunar rilles are thought to be channels that were carved out by lava flows, or were created by the collapse of lava tubes which carried lava underground. Rilles come in many different sizes, but usually their widths and depths are small compared to their lengths. One of the largest rilles on the Moon is Hadley Rille. It is about a mile wide (at its widest point), 60 miles long, and 1300 feet deep. Hadley Rille was produced by a lava flow about 3.3 billion years ago.
Hadley is the classic rille of course, THOUGHT to be carved out by lava flows, but where is the lava at the end? Lava tube collapse? The lava twisted and turned, looking like the course of the New River in places, and then just disappeared into the ground? Some of the straighter ones are thought to be grabben, but that explanation is worse than lava tubes to me.

The Moon and Its Rilles
http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2006/ ... 5rille.jpg
And Lava Tubes:
http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2004/ ... -tubes.htm

I'd also say lava tubes were from electrical currents. We have some lava caves on Vancouver Island that the early settlers found had diamonds embedded in the lining. The caves were sacred to the indigenous people, but so what? :( NASA also apparently found a material lining parts of the caves or tubes that was what they based the composition of the heat shield tiles that they used on the Shuttles. The lava in these caves and tubes was again, IMO, from electrical melting, large underground currents from the mountains to the sea, which were also responsible for the creation of the gold, silver, copper found in the region. Diamonds are formed by high heat and pressure they believe, but if lightning can produce nano-diamonds, then I'm seeing tremendous electrical discharges along the lining of the tubes or caves.
Can You give examples of areas that were electrically sculpted please?
What are supposedly glacial furrows are I believe from electrical sculpting. I see them in river and creek beds, on hill tops, and sometimes running sideways to the river bed and up the river valley sides. Some are only a few feet long, but all have very sharply defined shapes, and can remain constant in width over their whole length. There is no mechanical model that can account for such shapes. All the formations on this page are electrical/plasma to me. But then what isn't? :D
https://macwiki.mcmaster.ca/clip/index. ... Morphology
Are You coming to the EU conference?
'Fraid not, no passport at the moment, and no $$ to buy one. All my time and money goes into EM geology and cosmology research!

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:47 pm

I have to give credit to the Creationists for the work they have done in trying to show the inconsistencies in the Gradualist model, but find myself stuck between a rock and a hard place now, as though I agree with much of the work of Creationists, their interpretation of the evidence for a Great Flood looks to me more like evidence for catastrophic EM events. I do think there was, as the Bible and other texts record, a great deluge, torrential rains leading to flooding, and perhaps a tilting of the planet that would cause the ocean to overwhelm parts of the land surface. Such images as this display, IMO, EM, not water damage or erosion:
Siccar Point is a monument to catastrophe and an icon of Noah’s Flood.

It’s time for evolutionist geologists to face the evidence
http://creation.com/evolutionist-geolog ... e-evidence

I'd say it was also time for Creationist Geologists to face the EM evidence.
This piece about using Zircon dating also raises EM issues. The Zircons found in Australia gave a date of 4.3 billion years using the U/U method, but that was one of 140 crystals from the same rock, all displaying different ages. Much like astronomers with their parallax errors, they just discard the values that do not fit their models.
When I presented this and similar criticisms of isotope dating to a gathering of the Lucas Heights Scientific Society (Sydney, Australia) in 1989, the only response that came from the chief of the division responsible for isotope dating at the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organization was the question, ‘Do you have a better dating method?’

I said ‘No’, and he appeared to be satisfied that if there are no better methods of dating, then these are good enough. But can you ride a bicycle into the past simply because no one else has a better time-machine? Of course not. In the same way it is absurd to argue that an inadequate method is adequate because nothing better is available.
Flaws in dating the earth as ancient
http://creation.com/flaws-in-dating-the ... as-ancient

So kudos to the Creationists for their work on dating irregularities, but a pox on them for their often vehement responses to my suggestions they should even consider catastrophic EM forces for the majority of the physical features noted, (and the dating) rather than water, which I don't believe can be shown by any amount of computer simulations to erode, shape, or deform rocks in what is accepted by them to have been perhaps a few days of large volume water flows. Harumph. :D

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Recrysallisation of certain rock types has been attributed, as always, to temperature and pressure at various depths within the crust. It can be shown however that the same or similar recrystallisation can be achieved by EM processes. The idea that most modification of the Earths surface occurred during a mega-CME, sometimes down to a depth of 3 or 4 kilometres, has not, AFAIK, been considered, but mega-class CMEs have supposedly been observed to occur at other stars, and to say such events could not happen with our own Sun have no scientific ground to stand on. With such a magnitude of CME, or flare/CME combination, the possibility of electron or ion acoustic waves, magnetic clouds, electromagnetic shock waves, and enhanced microwave flux (gyroresonance and free-free) from a greatly expanded corona, all reaching to the lower atmosphere, surface and subsurface, should be given serious consideration.
Again we come back to the choice between slow, gradual, extremely long time period changes to Earths surface, or short, sharp, ulta-energetic EM events.
Many puzzles facing geologists could be easily answered from a scientific perspective by the admission of such EM processes, but that must surely open up great controversy over the age of such an event, as life on Earth has supposedly needed millions of years of stable conditions to evolve to its present state.
Geological features such as the folded and distorted strata, deep, expansive lava beds such as the Siberian traps that have no identified source vents, the seemingly carved out canyons and rivers, and a profusion of objects that have no conventional geological explanation, like the big stone spheres and giant boulders, should all suggest events that are not in keeping with slow erosional or weathering models.

But apart from Bosnia and Costa Rica, similar stones have been found at Easter Island, Peru and Mexico.
The conventional view is that the stone balls were shaped by hunans, but as many are found in river and creek beds along with many other not so round stones should make it evident that they were formed just where they were found, and that the frequency of the impinging electrical energies, likely microwave, both softened and acoustically shaped them. Some of the balls may have been trimmed or otherwise worked by humans, as they probably thought them pretty special, perhaps because they believed the Gods created them?

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Quartz pebbles, such as those found on Long Island, have supposedly been glacially transported from far away places. Though quartz is very tough, detrition is the model used for their rounding and smoothing. However, a man by the name of Prof. Jehu Brainerd challenged the validity of the model, based on a closer examination of the nature of those pebbles. That was in 1853, but even then, there was to be no challenge made to the scholarly models of the scientific elite, and his paper was ordered to be removed from the published proceedings of the Association of the Advancement of Science, in Cleveland.
Based on the finding of consistently sized quartz pebbles, in layers only a couple of inches thick, but spread over hundreds of square miles, he had come to the conclusion that the pebbles were formed in suspension at the bottom of ancient seas that covered large areas of the Eastern USA, some time in the distant past. His comments on page 3 (page 2 is blank) regarding institutions of learning still apply I think.

Origin of the Quartz Pebbles of the Sandstone Conglomerate and the Formation of the Stratified Sand Rocks.
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/moa/ajp7487 ... view=image

In a much more recent study, the pebbles have a different origin:
"Quartz pebbles can't come from any of those states(Kentucky, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Arkansas, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia) at the time these rivers flowed," Greb says. "Quartz pebbles of this size formed with intense pressure and heat, in areas where mountains are forming or at the ancient cores of the continents." No other natural process could have formed those pebbles, Greb says. The core of North America is exposed in Canada, from the U.S. border to the Hudson Bay area, and he says that is where the quartz originated.
Sandstone Secrets: Quartz Pebbles Reveal Ancient River System in Appalachia
http://www.research.uky.edu/odyssey/spr ... stone.html

No other natural process. High heat and pressure is now the method favored for the formation of numerous rock types, but I think Prof. Brainerd was the closest with his models, except that the sedimentation and the formation of the pebbles within that sedimen was from, you got it, electrical processes. Rapid cementation in a strong electrical field is a known process, Electrophoretic Sedimentation.

http://luxrerum.icmm.csic.es/?q=node/re ... lectrophor

An electric field with the approprite characteristics could, IMO, be the force that sorts and shapes the quartz pebbles, another example of acoustic shaping, or 3d cymatics, a process that should be given more attention, but won't of course, in the production of other geological formations.

Similar quartz pebbles in sandstone are found in other areas of the world:
Close up view of a white quartz cobble in the Table Mountain sandstone, rounded by river action and washed into the matrix sand during major flood events.
Complete with some fine lightning streaks?

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Ancient crater could hold clues about moon's mantle
Data from the Moon Mineralogy Mapper that flew aboard India's Chandrayaan-1 lunar orbiter shows a diverse mineralogy in the subsurface of the giant South Pole Aitken basin. The differing mineral signatures could be reflective of the minerals dredged up at the time of the giant impact 4 billion years ago, the researchers say.

http://phys.org/news/2013-12-ancient-cr ... antle.html

An impact crater and dredged up material, or an electrical melting, sputtering, transmuting, recrystalising, monstrous event?

Makes me wonder about some features on the Earth.

Utah supervolcanoes discovered
These supervolcanoes aren't active today, but 30 million years ago more than 5,500 cubic kilometers of magma erupted during a one-week period near a place called Wah Wah Springs. By comparison, this eruption was about 5,000 times larger than the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption.
"The ravages of erosion and later deformation have largely erased them from the landscape, but our careful work has revealed their details," said Christiansen. "The sheer magnitude of this required years of work and involvement of dozens of students in putting this story together."
http://phys.org/news/2013-12-utah-supervolcanoes.html

That erosion and weathering is sure a handy tool when you need it to make your Fairy Tales come to life. ;)
Ok, maybe I'm being too cynical, perhaps there was a super-volcano. From mega telluric currents . :D

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:27 pm

2002 Canyon Lake flood may offer clues to Mars geography
In the summer of 2002, a flood that reshaped the area's geological landscape on a scale that normally would have taken thousands of years happened practically in his backyard.
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/loca ... g-1/nRwY6/

So 3 days of surge in the canyon cut so deep that now they want to use this 'evidence' to explain how features on Mars could have formed in catastrophic mega-floods. Well I've seen enough of this nonsense. The whole of Earthly Geosciences is a total fraud, large numbers of 'scientists' getting paid very well I imagine, spending lifetimes creating ever more complex models spanning millions of years, models that can not be shown by computer simulation (if they dare even try it) to make the least amount of mechanical sense. Fairy tales.
The water in this case only removed the trees, soil, broken or fractured rock chunks that were excavated in an electrical surface discharge, perhaps relatively recently. The canyon as it looks now is a perfect example of what an electrical/plasma event will do to the Earths' surface, regardless of the type of rock. The canyon surface was preserved by being under all that dirt and rock that was itself created in the electrical event, but only removed in the recent flood. A textbook (well, my textbook anyway) example of electrical scaring, now turned into evidence that mega-floods occurred on Mars. Incredible.

At least they have had to back off their model of erosion forming deep canyons through some pretty tough rock.

Study of Idaho canyons suggests they were the result of massive flooding not erosion
A team of researchers is proposing that Idaho's Malad Gorge and two of its three unique heads were created by a massive flood 46,000 years ago. In their paper published in Proceeding of the National Academy of Sciences, the team members from California Institute of Technology describe a field study they undertook of the area and how their findings suggest the gorge was created by a flood, not erosion as has been previously thought.
http://phys.org/news/2013-12-idaho-cany ... n.html#jCp

The other mechanism is "upstream propagating headwalls".

Amphitheater-headed canyons formed by megaflooding at Malad Gorge, Idaho
Significance

The shapes of bedrock canyons offer clues to the history of surface water on Earth and Mars. Using field examples in Idaho, we found that canyons with amphitheater-shaped heads were likely carved rapidly by outburst flooding about 46,000 y ago and that canyons with more pointed heads evolved progressively by river erosion over tens of thousands of years. Our study suggests that the many amphitheater-headed canyons in fractured basalt on Mars, long inferred to be carved by groundwater seepage, may owe their origins instead to megafloods.
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/ ... 1.abstract

One model doesn't work, make up a new one. The latest is sort of like how the edge of Niagara falls is being eroded back over time, but in the canyon forming model there are many of them along the length of the canyon, each eating their way back up river, over millions of years again of course. Well, I can see the same thing even in small creeks in my local area. Even in my, tiny, back yard creek. The creek will have flat sections, then step up at a waterfall or short, steep spillway. The water eroding the waterfall or spillway will cause that waterfall to move upstream over time. Lots of time of course. Except that in my area this is all caused by glaciers, so maybe it was glaciers on Mars that cut those similar features? Yes, that must be it. :roll:
It will be a long time I believe before the powerful academic institutions are forced to admit that NONE of their models can be shown, even by use of simulations run on the most powerful computers, to come close to explaining the features on both Earth and Mars. There is only one force that can perform such work, and it can do it in seconds or minutes, not millions or billions of years.

GaryN

Unread post by GaryN » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:08 pm

I was watching a video on extreme white-water kayaking at Great Falls on the Potomac River, and of course the geology sparked my interest. Looking at the USGS site, I see this paragraph:
"Since first formed, these rocks have undergone a full and varied history. As younger sediments accumulated above them, they became accordingly more deeply buried. They were later compressed, folded, metamorphosed, and finally intruded by granite. The different stages in this complex sequence of metamorphic events are outlined in the accompanying figure. The total thickness of sediment that accumulated can be inferred from laboratory experiments which show that a mineral (sillimanite) which grew in the schists when the granites were intruded requires a temperature of 1150°F and a pressure of 80,000 pounds per square inch to form; it would require a blanket of sediments about 11 miles thick to produce this pressure. The exact age of this deformation and recrystallization is unknown, but dates on similar granites near Baltimore suggest that the granites at Great Falls were intruded about 425 million years ago, and most of the deformation must have been accomplished by that time."
http://www.nps.gov/history/history/onli ... a/sec5.htm

So again, high heat and pressure at great depths. Granite intrusion. Many millions of years. The rocks show water smoothing above the present normal water level, that must also have taken a great deal of time, yet the rocks within the present river channel appear still rough and jagged. Rather than hundreds of millions of years and slow erosion and smoothing, this is most likely an almost instantaneous formation, from events of unimaginable energies, and likely relatively recently.