Astronomy Joke of the Day

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

junglelord

Astronomy Joke of the Day

Unread post by junglelord » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:37 am

My contribution to some laughter in the year 2009, proudly presenting the Astronomer Joke of the Day.
A thread for the flights of fantasy the church of cosmology dreams up, on a daily basis, I go first.
Black holes 'preceded galaxies'
A cosmic chicken-and-egg question may have been solved by astronomers who now say black holes came before galaxies.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7815827.stm
Beat that one.
:mrgreen:
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

Grey Cloud

Re: Astronomy Joke of the Day

Unread post by Grey Cloud » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:27 am

If it's about Black Hole you just gorra have the 'artist's impression':
Black Hole
Black Hole
_45353633_blackhole_nasa_226.jpg (10.77 KiB) Viewed 5491 times
I wish I was artistic - talk about money for old rope.
"The evidence suggests that the constant ratio seen [in nearby galaxies] may not hold in the early Universe."
In space nobody can hear the goal posts move.
If I have the least bit of knowledge
I will follow the great Way alone
and fear nothing but being sidetracked.
The great Way is simple
but people delight in complexity.
Tao Te Ching, 53.

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Try this one on for size:
Spaghettification

In astrophysics, spaghettification is the stretching of objects into long thin shapes (rather like spaghetti) in a very strong gravitational field, and is caused by extreme tidal forces. In the most extreme cases, near black holes, the stretching is so powerful that no object can withstand it, no matter how strong its components are.

The word spaghettification comes from an example given by Stephen Hawking in his book A Brief History of Time, where he describes the plight of a fictional astronaut who, passing within a black hole's event horizon, is "stretched like spaghetti" by the gravitational gradient (difference in strength) from head to toe. - Wiki in reference to Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time"
*snicker* Now beat that one!! LOL :!:
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:33 pm

spaghettification MOMA MEA!
What came first the spaghetti or the meat hole?
:lol:
At least they admit the astronaut is "fictional"...
;)
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

Solar

Unread post by Solar » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:26 am

"Subatomic Particle Plushies" from the Standard Model of Particle Physics & Beyond!! :shock:
"Our laws of force tend to be applied in the Newtonian sense in that for every action there is an equal reaction, and yet, in the real world, where many-body gravitational effects or electrodynamic actions prevail, we do not have every action paired with an equal reaction." — Harold Aspden