Velikovsky on Collective Amnesia

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

Lloyd

Velikovsky on Collective Amnesia

Unread post by Lloyd » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:27 pm

* I found this youtube video interview of Velikovsky at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGB0V93dlM4. Has anyone else seen or mentioned it? He discusses Collective Amnesia, which suppresses traumatic memories of the past and helps explain conventional science's denial of ancient catastrophes in the age of humans.
* It's interesting to see him on video. I've only seen one or two photos of him previously, only in profile I think.

junglelord

Re: Velikovsky on Collective Amnesia

Unread post by junglelord » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:42 pm

Collective Amnesia could also be applied to many things, not just this.
If you learn to tune in, then you will turn on....
You are the best radio receiver in the universe...
Collective Amnesia is a device of the wicked to surpress your own innear voice.
Your mind is a war zone and infowars invade your mind.
This works to create Collective Amnesia on a global scale with people as pawns in a deadly game of power and insanity.
Such is our current state of affairs....the planet has been raped and pilaged and we have poisioned our waters, our soil, our bodies with toxic chemicals...this is the industrial military complex matrix and its main mind came is Collective Amnesia....thats why the value of your life is the cost of a bullet and a flag ($5) and they believe it.
:?

There is a lot of crap I do not buy, Gravity Cosmology is just one huge example of how mainstream minds are under Collective Amnesia. They would not know a good physics model if it hit them in the head, leaving them to believe in false enemies and false events....
http://www.infowars.com/?p=6917
Finished rant.
Last edited by junglelord on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

bboyer

Unread post by bboyer » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:45 pm

There is something beyond our mind which abides in silence within our mind. It is the supreme mystery beyond thought. Let one's mind and one's subtle body rest upon that and not rest on anything else. [---][/---] Maitri Upanishad

nick c
Site Admin

Unread post by nick c » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:00 pm

Lloyd:
Haven't seen that video in a long time.

I think that in the end, Velikovsky's Collective Amnesia may prove to be his most significant contribution. Keep in mind, that he was a [url2=http://www.estronaut.com/a/psychiatrist_differences.htm]psychoanalyst and psychiatrist[/url2] by profession and that his discovery of recent planetary catastrophism came by way of that endeavor. One could draw an analogy of the analysis of the dreams of an individual to mythology for the collective.

That analogy is drawn to an individual who suffers a trauma and wanders in an amnesia induced fog repeating the circumstances, recreating and reenacting the events that caused him to forget. So much of human behavior is explained, from the weapons of war and mass destruction, missiles or aircraft painted with a star or some other astral symbol, to economic crisis causing otherwise rational people to [url2=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic]panic[/url2]- waving their arms in fear of the 'sky falling.'
We as a species have forgotten our catastrophic past.

It is interesting that Velikovsky proposed a 'cultural' amnesia, but did not rule out the possibility that the amnesia may be passed on genetically from one generation to the next.
His book Mankind In Amnesia was interesting reading, but his tone is very disheartening. I sense that he may have thought that his efforts to help us remember were failing. That mankind prefered not to know and would rather continue his quest for world destruction, being both the victim and the victimizer.

An interesting summary of his theory of collective amnesia is given by Dr. Velikovsky in his keynote address at the University of Lethbridge in 1974.
"Cultural Amnesia: The Submergence of Terrifying Events in the Racial Memory and their Later Reemergence"
I feel that I must speak out on this subject whenever and wherever I can. We are in a race, and I do not know if I can help, but I must try.

Unfortunately my attempt to cure the mental illness which afflicts mankind cannot use the methods of good psychiatry. You cannot put the human race on the couch. You cannot expect to cure using blunt statements about the past. Without preparation, without giving the patient a chance to prepare himself, you cannot slowly release from his subconscious mind the necessary recognition of the traumatic past. Above all others, the scientific community has experienced great paroxysms, and reacted in fury against the disclosures of a modern book.

The price for my revelation has been high, but what choice did I have? The enemy is time. I conclude with a verse which is not my own, and I don’t remember it exactly, but the hour is late, and I will repeat it:

We are in a race with the Reaper
We hastened, he tarried, we won.

I wish I could hope that it will be that way, and not the other way around.

http://www.varchive.org/lec/lethbridge/amnesia.htm

nick c