Are the planets growing?

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

allynh

Re: Are the planets growing?

Unread post by allynh » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:28 pm

Ha! I just spotted this one. If they actually get a mammoth to grow, it won't grow as large as in the past before it dies from "unknown" causes, i.e., too much gravity.
AFP wrote: Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years
By Shingo Ito (AFP) – 13 hours ago
cycle.jpg
TOKYO — Japanese researchers will launch a project this year to resurrect the long-extinct mammoth by using cloning technology to bring the ancient pachyderm back to life in around five years time.

The researchers will try to revive the species by obtaining tissue this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian research laboratory, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

"Preparations to realise this goal have been made," Akira Iritani, leader of the team and a professor emeritus of Kyoto University, told the mass-circulation daily.

Under the plan, the nuclei of mammoth cells will be inserted into an elephant's egg cell from which the nuclei have been removed, to create an embryo containing mammoth genes, the report said.

The embryo will then be inserted into an elephant's uterus in the hope that the animal will eventually give birth to a baby mammoth.

The elephant is the closest modern relative of the mammoth, a huge woolly mammal believed to have died out with the last Ice Age.

Some mammoth remains still retain usable tissue samples, making it possible to recover cells for cloning, unlike dinosaurs, which disappeared around 65 million years ago and whose remains exist only as fossils

Researchers hope to achieve their aim within five to six years, the Yomiuri said.

The team, which has invited a Russian mammoth researcher and two US elephant experts to join the project, has established a technique to extract DNA from frozen cells, previously an obstacle to cloning attempts because of the damage cells sustained in the freezing process.

Another Japanese researcher, Teruhiko Wakayama of the Riken Centre for Developmental Biology, succeeded in 2008 in cloning a mouse from the cells of another that had been kept in temperatures similar to frozen ground for 16 years.

The scientists extracted a cell nucleus from an organ of a dead mouse and planted it into the egg of another mouse which was alive, leading to the birth of the cloned mouse.

Based on Wakayama's techniques, Iritani's team devised a method to extract the nuclei of mammoth eggs without damaging them.

But a successful cloning will also pose challenges for the team, Iritani warned.

"If a cloned embryo can be created, we need to discuss, before transplanting it into the womb, how to breed (the mammoth) and whether to display it to the public," Iritani said.

"After the mammoth is born, we will examine its ecology and genes to study why the species became extinct and other factors."

More than 80 percent of all mammoth finds have been dug up in the permafrost of the vast Sakha Republic in eastern Siberia.

Exactly why a majority of the huge creatures that once strode in large herds across Eurasia and North America died out towards the end of the last Ice Age has generated fiery debate.

Some experts hold that mammoths were hunted to extinction by the species that was to become the planet's dominant predator -- humans.

Others argue that climate change was more to blame, leaving a species adapted for frozen climes ill-equipped to cope with a warming world.

KeepitRealMark

Unread post by KeepitRealMark » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:23 am

I try to look at things in a Next Logical Step approach. What actually happened??, (cause) and what happened as a result?? (effect0.

As I see things…I summarize the process as… Earths electrical activity changes. Less energy generated…less heat. Cool down creates a uniform crust over the planet. With volcanic openings everywhere. Various gasses are created from within the planet. C02 Gases are the cause of simple organic vegetation that covers much of the surface which absorbs the gasses and emits a new gas that may even be unique to earth… Oxygen. The Oxygen mixes in the upper atmosphere with Hydrogen and bonds due to electrical stimulus from the plasma in the atmosphere. Water is the cause for all other life forms generated. The atmosphere is here only due to the continuing process creating it. If not for that reason. I believe the earth would be similar to a baseball thrown at 100 mph. The air around the ball is changing as the ball moves. What would hold Earths atmosphere in place?

Water molecules are continuously being produced by this process and the earth is expanding.
It caused the original crust to break up into what we have today.
Just as everything in the universe is effected by the Plasma, everything on Earth is effected by all the water.
I don't believe all planets are expanding.

Sparky

Unread post by Sparky » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:33 pm

sorry if this has been covered, but could the electric currents entering earth be sufficient to increase matter that is detectable as an expanding earth?
"It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong."
"Doubt is not an agreeable condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

allynh

Unread post by allynh » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Sparky wrote: ...could the electric currents entering earth be sufficient to increase matter that is detectable as an expanding earth?
Exactly. The electric current flowing through the Earth is what drives the growth. As the current increases the growth increases, and as the current drops the growth slows, that's why you have uneven thickness of the crust.

Without the Electric Universe the Earth could not grow.

KeepitRealMark

Unread post by KeepitRealMark » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:28 pm

Sparky wrote:sorry if this has been covered, but could the electric currents entering earth be sufficient to increase matter that is detectable as an expanding earth?

Does the electric current flowing through a light bulb filament cause it to expand in size. I contend it is water that is the cause of Earth's expansion.

allynh

Unread post by allynh » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:46 pm

The thing to do is start at the beginning of the thread and read through all of the related links. The thread has essentially become an overview and link list of Growing Earth Theory(GET) with all of the different versions that have been discussed.

It is amazing how the thread has grown{"grown" Ha! "GET" it{<---Insert crickets chirping} Oh well...anyway}and there is more to come; but then you probably saw that coming. Ha!

StevenJay

Unread post by StevenJay » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:57 pm

KeepitRealMark wrote:
Sparky wrote:sorry if this has been covered, but could the electric currents entering earth be sufficient to increase matter that is detectable as an expanding earth?

Does the electric current flowing through a light bulb filament cause it to expand in size.
Well, due to resistance, the filament becomes quite hot. When things become hot, they expand. Physics 101. ;)
It's all about perception.

KeepitRealMark

Unread post by KeepitRealMark » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:32 am

StevenJay wrote:
KeepitRealMark wrote:

Does the electric current flowing through a light bulb filament cause it to expand in size.
Well, due to resistance, the filament becomes quite hot. When things become hot, they expand. Physics 101. ;)

Yes.. that is true, only to a point.
The filament reaches a certain size and remains there due to the level of electric stimulus.
The filament doesn’t continue expanding endlessly.

The remaining heat within Earth is from prior electric activity.
Earth is cooling down.
Nature turned OFF the Light Switch.

Aristarchus

Unread post by Aristarchus » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:31 pm

KeepitRealMark wrote:Yes.. that is true, only to a point.
The filament reaches a certain size and remains there due to the level of electric stimulus.
The filament doesn’t continue expanding endlessly.
You at first stated that the bulb itself doesn't expand, but when it is pointed out that the filament expands, you then offer that it doesn't "expand endlessly." However, I'm not aware of anyone on this topic positing that the planets are going to grow endlessly.
KeepitRealMark wrote:The remaining heat within Earth is from prior electric activity.
Earth is cooling down.
Nature turned OFF the Light Switch.
What heat within the Earth are you referring to:

http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/eens211 ... terior.htm

Radioactive Heat - Elements like U, Th, K, and Rb have radioactive isotopes. During radioactive decay, sub-atomic particles are released by the decaying isotope and move outward until they collide with other atomic particles. Upon collision, the kinetic energy of the moving particles is converted to heat. If this heat cannot be conducted away, then the temperature will rise. Most of the heat within the Earth is generated by radioactive decay, and this is the general reason why temperature increases with depth in the Earth. But most the radioactive isotopes are concentrated in the crust. Although there are areas in the continental crust where high concentrations of radioactive elements have locally raised the temperature, at least high enough to cause metamorphism, this is a rare occurrence. It is even more unlikely that areas of high concentration develop within the mantle. Thus, concentrations of radioactive elements is not likely to cause melting.

Frictional Heat - In areas where rocks slide past one another, such as at the base of the lithosphere, on at subduction zones, heat could be generated by friction. If this heat cannot be conducted away fast enough, then it may cause a localized rise in temperature within the zone where the sliding or shearing is taking place. This could cause a localized spike on the geothermal gradient that could cause local temperatures to rise above the solidus.

Decompression due to Convection - Convection is a form of heat transfer wherein the heat moves with the material. Convection can be induced if the temperature gradient is high enough that material at depth expands so that its density is lower than the material above it. This is an unstable situation and the hotter, lower density material will rise to be replaced by descending cooler material in a convection cell.

The rate of convection depends on both on the temperature gradient and the viscosity of the material (note that solids convect, but the rate is lower than in liquids because solids have higher viscosity). In the Earth, temperature gradients appear to be high enough and viscosity low enough for convection to occur. Plate tectonics appears to be driven by convection in some form.

Anywhere there is a rising convection current, hotter material at depth will rise carrying its heat with it. As it rises to lower pressure (decompression) it will cool somewhat, but will still have a temperature higher than its surroundings. Thus, decompression will result in raising the local geothermal gradient. If this new geothermal gradient reaches temperatures greater than the peridotite solidus, partial melting and the generation of magma can occur. This mechanism is referred to as decompression melting.
An object is cut off from its name, habits, associations. Detached, it becomes only the thing, in and of itself. When this disintegration into pure existence is at last achieved, the object is free to become endlessly anything. ~ Jim Morrison

KeepitRealMark

Unread post by KeepitRealMark » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:50 pm

I didn't say the bulb does not expand. It was in the form of a question... without the ?

I'll go with the heat we see as Magma.

Aristarchus

Unread post by Aristarchus » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:52 pm

KeepitRealMark wrote:I didn't say the bulb does not expand. It was in the form of a question... without the ?
Ah. Do you concede that no one on this topic raised the issue that the planets would grow endlessly, only that electrical currents might increase mass and be responsible for expansion? BTW, the electricity that heats a tungsten filament will cause the latter to thin as well as be pushed together. Small point, but interesting when considering the Earth's crust. So, KeepitRealMark, following our analogy, will the Earth break, burn, or melt like a tungsten filament? ;)
Keepit RealMark wrote:I'll go with the heat we see as Magma.
About 90 percent of the Earth's heat is in the interior and is fueled by radioactive decay, which the link I provided in my last post states:
Radioactive Heat - Elements like U, Th, K, and Rb have radioactive isotopes. During radioactive decay, sub-atomic particles are released by the decaying isotope and move outward until they collide with other atomic particles. Upon collision, the kinetic energy of the moving particles is converted to heat. If this heat cannot be conducted away, then the temperature will rise. Most of the heat within the Earth is generated by radioactive decay, and this is the general reason why temperature increases with depth in the Earth. But most the radioactive isotopes are concentrated in the crust. Although there are areas in the continental crust where high concentrations of radioactive elements have locally raised the temperature, at least high enough to cause metamorphism, this is a rare occurrence. It is even more unlikely that areas of high concentration develop within the mantle. Thus, concentrations of radioactive elements is not likely to cause melting.
Thus, the majority of heat within the Earth is not responsible for Magma.
An object is cut off from its name, habits, associations. Detached, it becomes only the thing, in and of itself. When this disintegration into pure existence is at last achieved, the object is free to become endlessly anything. ~ Jim Morrison

KeepitRealMark

Unread post by KeepitRealMark » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:25 am

Aristarchus wrote:
KeepitRealMark wrote:I didn't say the bulb does not expand. It was in the form of a question... without the ?
Ah. Do you concede that no one on this topic raised the issue that the planets would grow endlessly, only that electrical currents might increase mass and be responsible for expansion? BTW, the electricity that heats a tungsten filament will cause the latter to thin as well as be pushed together. Small point, but interesting when considering the Earth's crust. So, KeepitRealMark, following our analogy, will the Earth break, burn, or melt like a tungsten filament? ;)
Keepit RealMark wrote:I'll go with the heat we see as Magma.
About 90 percent of the Earth's heat is in the interior and is fueled by radioactive decay, which the link I provided in my last post states:
Thus, the majority of heat within the Earth is not responsible for Magma.
That’s sounds reasonable to me.
I am not any authority on the issue. But, has I see it. The planet is as Nikola Tesla claimed nothing more than a small metal ball reacting to electric stimulus in it’s atmosphere. Now it is cooling down due to less current.
Any heat must be related to the plasma energy in various forms (as you said) and magnetic forces generated.
Those would have to be the most dominate forces effecting the process.
How the center to surface action functions is still a mystery but we are getting closer to the truth.

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:36 pm

Aristarchus,

I appreciate your acknowledgment and statement about tungsten filaments "thinning". I prefer the terms "collapsing" or "degenerating", attributed to entropy. If you could show me how electrically induced transformational or transmutational processes could result in overall enlargement in any time frame, without reversing entropy, then I would feel more able to consider GET. For now none of these views make it "happen" for me:
1. Suresh Bansal's organic growth analogy, clearly a local entropy reversing process
2. Hollow[ing] earth [reverses entropy in contrast to a condensing earth]
3. Neal Adams' animations, which show an oceanless original planet despite abundant fossil evidence of marine life; those videos fail also to explain the worldwide pattern of mountain ranges, since little deformation of continents occurs in the progression of the expanding surface. The "flattening orange peel" analogy also requires deformation, which Adams' videos do not include, but also fails to explain why the mountains formed in their present pattern. Continental drift does a much better job of this, as well as accounting for the fit of the continents.
4. Water coming from the earth's core, or from outer space, or complex and diverse life forms arriving from other planets via plasma streams does not help the credibility of the model, since there is no evidence to suggest let alone support these possibilities.
5. Arguments for or against "subduction" are of no value in describing the mechanism in credible physical terms... I am neither an advocate for nor an opposer of subduction, but at least it has limited supporting seismic evidence.

Nevertheless, I read every post to this thread, in hopes of finding some credible seed of a mechanism. My own catastrophic earth history view would actually be enhanced by a [limited] expanding crust... but this is not what is being offered in the GET models presented here.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

allynh

Unread post by allynh » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:09 pm

webolife wrote: 3. Neal Adams' animations, which show an oceanless original planet despite abundant fossil evidence of marine life; those videos fail also to explain the worldwide pattern of mountain ranges, since little deformation of continents occurs in the progression of the expanding surface. The "flattening orange peel" analogy also requires deformation, which Adams' videos do not include, but also fails to explain why the mountains formed in their present pattern. Continental drift does a much better job of this, as well as accounting for the fit of the continents.
Shallow Seas -
http://www.continuitystudios.net/clip00.html
Neal Adams wrote: Q. Relative to your videos, I have one question... As the land goes back together, the ocean seems to disappear. What happened to the water? Weren't the oceans displaced over the land?

A. In making the video I had to ignore the water level completely. And I did. Because if I focused on that. nothing about the upper tectonic plates would make any sense VISUALLY.

Going backward in time, in fact the percentage of the Earth covered with water would remain nearly the same... About two thirds.

This is because when there were no deep seas on the earth, there were, what were called shallow seas covering two-thirds of the land. This process from one to the other was gradual and evolutionary.

Of course this is perfectly logical and scientifically understandable. Since all elements are produced in common amounts at the core of the Earth as are the gases including Oxygen and Hydrogen. If, as the Earth grows, it's field increases, that field will hold the Earth's gases from flying off into space to a greater extent as the Earth grows. Water will increase in amount,but not percentage. A bigger Earth holds more water on it's bigger surface and greater mass.

Incidentally that increase in amount and depth of water, means also that that deeper that water will get, in general, colder at depth... leading to colder winters and ice ages,... as we have now . There was no such thing as ice ages and icy winter or frozen poles in the ages of the dinosaurs.(Nor in fact, to be precise , were there Mountains in the ages of dinosaurs, therefore nor were there rivers fed by frozen ice capped mountains . There was merely runoff, which can be similar but ever-changing in depth.

It is reasonable to assume that dinosaurs migrated hemispherically. until the breaking up of the upper continental plates destroyed their migratory pathways. This contributed to the depletion of dinosaur families until a final extinction 63 million years ago when migratory pathways were totally cut off..
Mountains: How Are They Made?
http://www.continuitystudios.net/mountains.html

Is Pangea Possible? No it is not, and this is why.
http://www.continuitystudios.net/pangea.html

The flattening orange peel analogy is mine, expanded from Ted Holden's, not Neal Adams. Sigh....

allynh

Unread post by allynh » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Ha! Here is another big bug that is impossible in one gravity.

On the one hand they play fair by pointing out the rules, then discard them in the face of the bug's existence within the one gravity dogma.
http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blo ... of-al.html
NATGEO wrote: Largest Land-Dwelling "Bug" of All Time
Posted on January 15, 2011 | 0 Comments

The giant extinct invertebrate Arthropleura resembled some modern millipedes, but could grow to be more than one-and-a-half feet wide, and may sometimes have been more than six feet long.
ARTHROPLEURA_RECONSTRUCTED-thumb-425x282.jpg
Reconstruction of the giant millipede Arthropleura from the Pennsylvanian and earliest Permian of North America and Europe. The head capsule (marked by an asterisk) is shown tucked under the first plate (collum), as in present-day millipedes. Courtesy and copyright of Dr. Elke Gröning (Technische Universität Clausthal-Zellerfeld).
By Hans-Dieter Sues

As a kid I enjoyed watching those old sci-fi movies (like the 1954 classic Them!) where giant ants and spiders, created by fallout from atomic explosions, laid waste to cities and towns. While most of us are not overly fond of "creepy-crawlies" invading our homes, many people love the frisson of learning that there were once really big animals like these.

Fortunately, the laws of nature impose tight limits on the maximum size that arthropods can attain. The arthropod body is completely encased in an exoskeleton. The legs are made up of jointed tubes that contain the muscles necessary for their movement. As the animal's size increases, the walls of these leg tubes rapidly increase in thickness, and operating the limbs soon would be impossible if the animal grew too big.

Another constraint faced by large arthropods is breathing. Small forms such as insects can breathe through tubes (tracheae) that open on the outside of the body. The body then absorbs the oxygen into the haemolymph (blood) through specialized soft membranes. The surface area of a body increases in proportion to the square of its dimensions, but the body's volume increases as the cube. Thus if the size of an animal doubles, its body volume (which needs to be supplied by oxygen) increases eightfold. This geometrical relationship significantly constrains size increase. Thus, no monster bugs will ever menace humanity!

During the Pennsylvanian and earliest Permian periods (about 320 to 290 million years before present), much of present-day North America and Europe was located close to the equator and was covered by vast, richly vegetated swamps. The remains of this vegetation ultimately formed the great coal deposits that fuelled the Industrial Revolution and to this day remain a key energy resource. These ancient swamps were home to many large arthropods including early dragonfly relatives with wingspans in excess of two feet and the subject of this blog, the giant millipede Arthropleura. One species of Arthropleura ("jointed rib") is the largest known land-dwelling invertebrate of all time.

The flattened body of Arthropleura is composed of approximately 30 jointed segments, each of which was covered by two side plates and one center plate. The ratio of pairs of legs to body segments was approximately 8:6, similar to some present-day millipedes. Typically, the body armor of Arthropleura fell apart after the death of the animal, and only individual segments or plates were preserved as fossils.

Unfortunately, nobody has yet found a complete large individual of Arthropleura. One partial body fossil from southwestern Germany has a length of 90 cm (3 ft.). A trackway ascribed to a large Arthropleura on a Pennsylvanian-age sandstone surface from Nova Scotia (Canada) comprises two parallel rows of small imprints and is 50 cm (19.7 in.) wide. It is estimated that the maker of this track was at least 1.7 m (5.6 ft.) long. Similar trackways have also been discovered in the United States and in Scotland. The size of some isolated armor segments indicates that Arthropleura adults could attain a length of at least 2 m (6.6 ft.). The only even larger arthropod was the aquatic Early Devonian "sea scorpion" Jaekelopterus, which, based on one isolated chelicera (pincer-like mouth part), reached an estimated length of 2.5 m (8.2 ft.).

As no complete fossils of large Arthropleura are known, the interpretation of their structure has been difficult. In the last few years, two German researchers--Otto Kraus, an expert on present-day millipedes, and Carsten Brauckmann, a specialist on ancient arthropods--have undertaken a detailed re-examination of the known fossils. Many older reconstructions of Arthropleura showed a large rounded "head end," but this appears to be the first armor plate, known as the collum, and the actual head capsule was tucked under the collum, as it is in present-day millipedes. Another interesting result of the new research is the discovery that the sturdy-looking body armor is only a few millimeters thick and was not reinforced by calcium carbonate (as, for example, in crustaceans). Considering their size, adult Arthropleura would have had few if any enemies in the Pennsylvanian coal swamps and therefore no need for heavy armor.

How did Arthropleura breathe? There are no traces of a tracheal system, and gas exchange through the body surface would have been insufficient for the oxygen needs of such a large animal. There are paired, pocket-like features on the underside of each body segment, and these pockets have a peculiar granulated surface. It has been suggested that a thin layer of air covered these surfaces and oxygen could be absorbed by diffusion through them. Geochemical modeling by Robert Berner (Yale University) suggests that the oxygen content of Earth's atmosphere was much higher during Pennsylvanian times (30 to 35%) than today (21% free oxygen), so large arthropods could have breathed more easily than they would have today.

What did Arthropleura eat? An earlier study reported possible gut contents in a specimen from Scotland. These contents were composed of debris from the tree-like club mosses (lycophytes) that formed a major component of the coal swamp vegetation. Restudy of the fossil in question by Kraus, however, indicates that this is an accidental association of a shed skin of an Arthropleura with some plant fragments. Kraus believes that Arthropleura indeed fed on plants but thinks that the enormous quantities of spores shed by swamp plants including lycophytes as well as early growth stages of these plants would have been rich sources of food. Most present-day millipedes feed on dead plant matter, and it is reasonable to assume that Arthropleura did likewise.

The extinction of Arthropleura is probably related to the climatic changes during the Permian Period when increasingly drier conditions led to the disappearance of the coal swamps. The work by Kraus and Brauckmann and other researchers indicates that Arthropleura may be most closely related to the present-day Penicillata, a group including the tiny bristle millipedes (Polyxenus), which are widespread in drier habitats in eastern North America. What a relief that we no longer have to worry about tripping over six-foot millipedes on our hikes through the forest!

Hans-Dieter (Hans) Sues is a vertebrate paleontologist based at the National Museum of Natural History in Washington, D.C. He is interested in the evolutionary history and paleobiology of vertebrates, especially dinosaurs and their relatives, and the history of ecosystems through time. A former member of the National Geographic Committee for Research and Exploration, Hans has traveled widely in his quest for fossils and loves to share his passion for ancient life through lectures, writings, and blogging.