Time and Motion

Beyond the boundaries of established science an avalanche of exotic ideas compete for our attention. Experts tell us that these ideas should not be permitted to take up the time of working scientists, and for the most part they are surely correct. But what about the gems in the rubble pile? By what ground-rules might we bring extraordinary new possibilities to light?

Moderators: MGmirkin, bboyer

altonhare

Re: Time and Motion

Unread post by altonhare » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:21 pm

Newtonians would like this to be
gravity, Einsteinians would like this to be some kind of geometrical space-time matrix, TT would likely insert "ropes",
and I visualize the fundamental operants as vectors (pressure, magnitude and direction measured over an area).
-webolife

RIght, these are supposed "hypotheses". However none but the chain are actually hypotheses, it is capable of explaining WHY two objects move toward each other and WHY light propagates rectilinear. The chain is a physical object. The word "gravity" or "vector" does not tell you WHY two planets move toward each other. "Gravity", "vectory", or "space-time" do not tell you WHY light propagates rectilinear. These "explanations" evade the first step of the scientific method, the hypothesis! The hypothesis proposes one or more objects. The way these objects interact is the theory. How these interactions explain observations is the conclusion. Scientists have been skipping step one for so long nobody notices anymore. Please, take notice!

The chain physically justifies light and gravity! It is not just a word, it is a word that refers to a *structure*. You yourself said that, just because we name some phenomenon "gravity" or "charge" does not tell us anything about it. That's exactly what relativity and your "UFT" are trying to do! You're just naming concepts but those concepts have to refer to some object(s) to have any meaning. When you don't name the objects there is nothing interacting. There is ultimately no theory because there is no hypothesis. The chain is a hypothesis! If we observe something the chain cannot explain we find a new hypothesis. "Theories" without a hypothesis are never falsified, to be falsifiable demands a hypothesis!
I say with mixed emotion, from hope to frustration, that ultimately the question may never be fully answered by science.
-webolife

Do you even know what you're looking for, exactly? Would you know it if you saw it? The chain physically justifies every observation of light and gravity that I know of. The reason you're having such a hard time finding "it" is because you don't realize that what you're looking for is one or more physical objects that can physically justify our observations. Objects with shape are primaries, they come first. Concepts are defined in terms of them. Physics is the study of objects, as you agreed. You must agree, then, that a "UFT" must involve one or more objects physically interacting.

How does the chain not "do it" for you?
Perhaps you might see my offering as philosophy rather than true science...
-webolife

All the "philosophy" I need to discuss with you is:

Is A A?
webolife: yes

What is physics the study of?
webolife: Objects

What is the definition of an object?
That which has shape i.e. is bordered, i.e. is finite

That's it. If you're not studying objects with shape you're not doing physics. If you're not study objects with shape, what are you studying?
Every Object for me is defined by the properties of its "field" that is the region in which is operates, which generally means its interactions with other objects. How else can we ever relate to an object except in its interactions with other objects?
-webolife

We don't need a magical field for this. One object interacts with another by touch because they have a boundary. One cannot merge with the other. This is by definition. Object A is object A, always. It's an extension of Identity. Objects interact by colliding and bouncing off because they are not each other.

A "field" can, at best, be a region of space where some objects are moving in some specific way.
This interaction occurs in an operant region, which I refer to as a field, but more importantly this interaction is at any scale a manifestation of the universal "holding force", hence my frequent use of the term "unified field". How this force is detected at whatever scale is the stuff of science. It manifests as gravity, voltage, nuclear force, and light, among other things.
-webolife

An operant region? You mean a region of nothing where somethings can interact? What are the somethings? How can nothing affect something? What is the *physical* cause of this "universal holding force"?

Why are you so determined to NOT hypothesize an actual object?
I visualize my unified fields using ray diagrams. Your ropes perhaps overlay my rays pretty nicely I think...
-webolife

The rope/chain is a three dimensional object! It can interact with other objects and produce observed effects such as gravity and light. What can your "ray" do physically?

The chain physically justifies the behaviors we've all been puzzling about. It is NOT just a way of thinking about light. Bill Gaede is really stating that his hypothesis is a three dimensional rope interconnecting every atom. This is completely different from waving at planets and saying there is some "holding force" due to a "field" around each planet that looks like nothingness... If we can invoke Angels we have no need of science to explain the motions of the planets!

In conclusion, I understand now. You "frame no hypothesis". This is why we've had so much difficulty. You cannot communicate your theory because it has no hypothesis, nothing physically intervening. What is a theory of physics without a physical object and how it physically intervenes?
Physicist: This is a pen

Mathematician: It's pi*r2*h

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:12 pm

You have something stuck in your mind that I can't seem to get a hold of... let me ask you a question:
If your "ropes" are objects with boundaries that collide with each other, how are they able to pass through each other unscathed as they connect between the myriads of other objects? Do the "chain links" become detached where they pass?
Can an object be either a fermion or a boson, using the language of QM? My rays [ie beams] have similar propeties as your ropes... one functional distinction I have been able to clearly see is that my rays are associated with pressure, compression, operating in a single direction, centropically (toward the field centroid), whereas your ropes operate in both directions simultaneously and with a torsion-related frequency. It seems that your ropes describe an interaction between two objects in a way which goes beyond my vector/ray/beams, in this sense... my ray/beams relate to the compressional forces against a single centroid/object, and I would invoke two separate objects [with their fields] to describe what appears to be the operation of your ropes. Objects[with fields] inside of other objects["greater" fields] would have a different interaction of their centropic pressures than continuous [your word] objects colliding with each other, nevertheless the direction of the operant rays/vectors will still be fundamentally centropic with respect to each centroid/object.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:36 pm

webolife wrote:If your "ropes" are objects with boundaries that collide with each other, how are they able to pass through each other unscathed as they connect between the myriads of other objects?
A good question, one I have largely answered in the threads devoted to it, but will give a quick run-down here also. The chains never have to pass through each other. An atom really does move "like a wave". Imagine holding a bicycle chain before you straight in two pronated hands. Now switch the positions of your hands (right to left and left to right) while twisting your wrists (hands now supinated). The loop you have made is the most simplistic view of an atom possible under chain theory. I am using it to illustrate an atom's motion best, not as a "true blue" chain theory atom. Now, you can make the loop (the atom) move in two ways. You could move both your hands in any of the three mutually perpendicular directions (translation). If atoms moved by the whole chain translating then chains would indeed need to cross. However you can also make the loop move from one end of the chain to the other without translating your hands. The analogy is not perfect with a bicycle chain, you will have to translate your hands some. In the actual chain the collisions between the links are perfectly elastic, not so in a bicycle chain. When a link collides with the link in front of it eventually a link collides with a link in the loop, which collides with the next one etc. The whole chain does not translate, each individual link does. This causes the loop to move along the chain.

The atom moves along this cosmic web of chain like a bead on an abacus. It gathers chain in its direction of travel and lets out chain in the direction it is moving away from.

You are still talking about pressure and fields. These don't have a border, they can't interact with each other. We need objects like chains, ropes, balls, etc. to tie our concepts too. Once I have defined the concept "torsion" as a specific motion of the links of a chain or the shell of chain encapsulating the atom, THEN I can talk about a torsion doing something. Can you imagine if I came to you and said light was a torsion? You'd say "A torsion of what!?" What if I said it's just a torsion, that every atom torsions to every other atom all the time. Maybe I use some jargon like "field" to justify it. But I cannot tell you *what is torquing*. This is what is missing from your theory (and practically every modern theory).

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:52 pm

This seems a bit unfair.
Are you saying you can actually visualize an atom, or tell me its shape? How is saying an atom is a loop any better than saying light is a ray? By your own logic, wouldn't you say that an atom "loops", not that it is a loop? I could easily retort that your visualization is inadequate to actually explain most or all of atoms' functions.
Are you saying that chains do not interact? or the interacting chains need not collide with each other?
Or that the links are bouncing around enough that intersecting chains don't actually interfere with each other? 3 of my friends and I link two stretched out slinkies together at the middle then jiggle our slinkies simultaneously. The "waves" pass "through" each other seemingly unhindered by the passage of "waves" moving orthogonally to each other. Obviously the waves are not actually translating from one end of the slinky to the other, but are jostling each section of coil which jostles each adjacent section etc. Is this your chain action? How is this different from the view that an electron is a wave, or that light is a wave, or that the waving sections of slinky is the visualization of a particle? How is any of this any less or more superior or more "physical" an explanation? In other words, how is it any less or more "physical" to say that light is a wave or light is a ray or light is a chain of links jostling each other? I can clearly [and simply] visualize my fields, rays, and pressure, they are 3D and have "shape" or are about "shape" in the same sense that any fundamental concept in geometry is about shape, and they operate and have physical consequences that I can point to, detect, and measure in the universe, micro and macro-scale. I'm not sure they all fit your demands for "object" but they work fine for me. I've described the shape of my light vectors/cones/beams repeatedly to you, but clearly not to your satisfaction. I'm afraid you may have philosophical Usher's Syndrome... your view has become so narrow, and you're becoming deaf to the possibility of other ways of explaining the physics of the universe, in an attempt to convert others to your view by limiting anything they say to the narrow demands of your own perspective.
I'm enjoying this exchange, and am happy for your persistent questions... I thought I could, and still hope I can, understand your real issues, and answer in a satisfactory way to you, but perhaps this is not possible right now?
I'm not giving up.
Truth extends beyond the border of self-limiting science. Free discourse among opposing viewpoints draws the open-minded away from the darkness of inevitable bias and nearer to the light of universal reality.

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:26 pm

webolife wrote:Are you saying you can actually visualize an atom, or tell me its shape?
The shape is called the hypothesis. The hypothesis involves definitions and assumptions, naturally. We assume atoms are shaped like X then we try to explain observation Y with shape X. If we can't we assume the atom has shape Z... etc.
webolife wrote:How is saying an atom is a loop any better than saying light is a ray? By your own logic, wouldn't you say that an atom "loops", not that it is a loop?
No, the loop is actually a shape. It indicates that, starting with link one defined as horizontal, each successive link makes an angle of less than 180 degrees with the previous one until a link is again horizontal (there is no angle between this link and link 1). This is a static concept i.e. an object with shape. Having defined this shape I can now talk about the motion of it. The action "looping" is a dynamic concept and requires motion. Motion does not have shape. When the loop of chain I call the "atom" moves it does so not by translating every link of the chain comprising the loop simultaneously in a single direction. If it did the chains would certainly become entangled. Instead each link collides with the link in front of it (technically the ball of one link hits the inside of the socket of the next link). The chain essentially "snakes" along a specific path one link collision at a time. It's a very "weird" way to think about motion, and it's difficult to grasp at first.
webolife wrote:I could easily retort that your visualization is inadequate to actually explain most or all of atoms' functions.
Really? Easily? You sound pretty confident.
webolife wrote:Are you saying that chains do not interact? or the interacting chains need not collide with each other?
Or that the links are bouncing around enough that intersecting chains don't actually interfere with each other?
Chains comprising atoms interact and the two strands of chain comprising a rope obviously touch/interact. The ropes of chain themselves need not ever collide with each other, however, if atoms move as I have described.
webolife wrote:Obviously the waves are not actually translating from one end of the slinky to the other, but are jostling each section of coil which jostles each adjacent section etc. Is this your chain action?
Yes! The analogy works well.
webolife wrote:How is this different from the view that an electron is a wave, or that light is a wave, or that the waving sections of slinky is the visualization of a particle? How is any of this any less or more superior or more "physical" an explanation?
Because when I point and say the atom moves like a wave there is something there waving! How can you not see this? When the quantum mechanic points he points (more or less) at a graph of a trig function! There are no objects doing anything but particles! They are describing how the electron/atom behaves but not hypothesizing about what it is.

Again, nothing IS what it DOES. Bill/I have created a hypothesis about what light/atom IS and so *justified* what it does. It's the difference between saying "We see team A win because the ball goes through the hoop" and saying "We see team A win because player B shoots the ball through the hoop more than all of Team B's players". Now we've learned something, we know WHY team A is able to get the ball through the hoop, it's because player B is that good. Anyone can look and tell Team A is scoring a lot, anyone can look at data and tell there's some kind of "waviness" to atoms, electrons, and light. But we don't LEARN anything about atoms, electrons, and light until we hypothesize about WHY they "look wavy".
webolife wrote:I can clearly [and simply] visualize my fields, rays, and pressure, they are 3D and have "shape" or are about "shape" in the same sense that any fundamental concept in geometry is about shape, and they operate and have physical consequences that I can point to, detect, and measure in the universe, micro and macro-scale. I'm not sure they all fit your demands for "object" but they work fine for me. I've described the shape of my light vectors/cones/beams repeatedly to you, but clearly not to your satisfaction.
The problem is that you have not connected how the structures justify the functions. Like you said, you have no idea what actually intervenes between two atoms when the electron makes a "quantum jump". Chain theory actually answers that question! It makes all the difference in the world. It's the difference between simply describing what we see and explaining WHY we see what we see.

So far your light rays/cones/fields/pressures are all analogies or descriptions. None of them has a structure that can justify WHY we see what we see. The chain does that. It connects every atom, this justifies the observed force of pull (gravitation). It also justifies rectilinear propagation of light. The electron shell is composed of chain, two shells can become enmeshed physically, qualitatively justifying chemical bonding.
webolife wrote:I'm afraid you may have philosophical Usher's Syndrome... your view has become so narrow, and you're becoming deaf to the possibility of other ways of explaining the physics of the universe, in an attempt to convert others to your view by limiting anything they say to the narrow demands of your own perspective.
I assure you I don't have Usher's Syndrome. I understand what you've said. Pressure does not do something and vectors do not do something. These are concepts, abstractions. I believe you agreed with me that objects do things, not concepts. Running does not take you to the store. YOU (object) run to the store. Objects do things. What your theory says is that what we observe looks like something (unspecified) exerting pressure in a specific way and that light looks like a bunch of rays distributed radially from the source. However WHY do we observe this "universal pressure"? This is the actual question of physics, this is the first step, to hypothesize a structure/shape that can justify these observed behaviors. You still have no object to justify these behaviors, the cone/ray are analogies to help people "get the idea".

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:31 pm

More questions for you:
You say your rope/chains actually exist, they are objects, they have shape. No mass, I presume, but if they are like my rays, they are responsible for the observation/detection of mass, and charge also? Your rope/chains are the aether of TT, n'est-ce pas? Action occurs along the rope/chains, but what physically starts the action along any particular path? What initiates the motion? How are the "links" detected, measured? Specifically what is the connection between what we observe and the rope/chain model? I've watched the video, and I see the animations of rope/chains tortioning as they connect objects in space. How do I see this in the real world? Does time exist, other than as a math construct?? Is the measurements of two locations for the same object really all that time is? Doesn't it take time to measure the two locations? Isn't that pretty much a pure tautology? Some of your argument is strictly semantic, not that that is unimportant. Some of your theory, eg. the two-way tortioning vs. my one way compression, is conceptually incompatible with mine. Perhaps what I offer is a description without a hypothesis, as in your misquote of Newton, who said [from Koyre''s translation] "I feign no hypotheses...[for the cause of gravity]", then went on immediately to suggest an all-pervasive aether. Is the superiority of one or the other "hypothesis" to be judged on how precisely its terms are defined vs. its compatibility with observed phenomena?

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:51 pm

webolife wrote:You say your rope/chains actually exist, they are objects, they have shape.
Careful, the chain is the hypothesis of the theory. Hypotheses are the assumptions we make. We assume the chain exists and see if we can explain observations with it. We don't prove things exist, they either exist or they don't. A minor point.
webolife wrote:No mass, I presume, but if they are like my rays, they are responsible for the observation/detection of mass, and charge also?
There are exactly two ways to define "mass". The first is the "quantity" definition and the second is the "resistance to motion" definition. The first definition of math is a matter of counting. If something is comprised of 100 H atoms its mass is 100. If it's comprised of 10000000 links of chain then its mass is 10000000. In this sense the chain has mass. This definitions' distinguishing characteristic is that it is a static concept. It is not terribly useful to us in general because it is not generally what we measure or detect, generally we observe the motion (dynamic) of objects.

The second definition of mass is inertial mass or resistance to motion. You have to push or pull on an object to detect inertia, whereas "quantity" mass is a matter of counting. We detect inertia because every atom in the universe is pulling on every other atom in the universe via an anti-parallel chain (this is how thread/chain theory incorporates Mach's principle, which Einstein ultimately failed to do). Every time you move your pinky you are overcoming the aggregate tug of every atom in the universe, this is the reason for the detection of inertial mass.
webolife wrote:Your rope/chains are the aether of TT, n'est-ce pas?
I don't think it's fair to call the rope or the chains "aether" because nobody has ever proposed such a structure and called it aether. Everyone wants to say its aether just because the term "aether" has been bandied about for a thousand years. Just because they knew there must be something "out there" that causes these strange behaviors, and they threw out a term "aether", doesn't mean everything gets branded "aether". What matters is the structure and how it explains what we observe. The structure is a chain. Aether supporters never stated such a thing and they do not get credit for it, whether the chain hypothesis is True or not.
webolife wrote:Action occurs along the rope/chains, but what physically starts the action along any particular path? What initiates the motion?
There are 2 ways to interpret your question. The first is largely philosophical i.e. you may be asking what the "origin of movement is". This is an invalid question because the question implies a contradiction. Everything has a cause so there can be no "original cause" because it would not have a cause!

The second way to interpret it is, what causes the torsion. I have explained that the electron shell expands, which torques the chains adjacent to the atom. For instance, the chain had a length of L with n links. Its "wavelength" was L/n. When the electron shell expands it must pull in some chain in order to do so, decreasing the chain's length. If it pulls in m links the new "wavelength" is L/n-m.

An atom can never be "at rest" because every atom is pulling on every other atom. Gravitation is inescapable. Every electron shell is trying to expand and become a straight chain against the pulling of every other electron shell.
webolife wrote:How are the "links" detected, measured? Specifically what is the connection between what we observe and the rope/chain model?
A lot of these questions are answered in the threads devoted to thread theory. The link itself is not directly detectable. We observe the universe by the phenomenon known as light. We cannot "see" a link because the torsion propagates along the links in the chain to our eyeball. Ultimately it doesn't matter if we can "detect" (whatever that really means) the aether, the chain, etc. What matters is can we hypothesize one or more structures that can explain what we observe.

We observe that light "arrives and leaves" as a particle i.e. it *appears* to be quantized. This is explained under TT. When the electron shell expands it can do so only at the expense of a certain number of "wavelengths". By wavelength I am talking about the distance between crests along the chain-rope. Where the chain-rope meets the atom one of the chain-threads is wrapped around in the loop I described previously and the other chain-thread continues to the center of the loop. The electron chain-thread goes "up" (or maybe "down") relative to the nuclear chain-thread. To maintain this orientation demands that the loop only takes in or lets out an integral number of wavelengths. This orientation is maintained by the "rattle" I have also described. Does this make sense? It's hard in words.
webolife wrote:Does time exist, other than as a math construct??
Time is a concept invented by humans just like love and justice. These concepts exist as a relationship among objects. If your concept is not a relationship among objects what is it?
webolife wrote:Is the measurements of two locations for the same object really all that time is?
Not quite. Two locations for the same object is the physical definition of motion. The measurement of two locations is a way to quantify motion (mathematical definition). What you cited is the mathematical definition (and one I have used also). I have cited the mathematical definition because it still involves objects at least, and thus still has physical significance. The problem with most "definitions" I see is that they do not even involve objects at all! What are you doing if you're not studying something? Are you studying "nothing"? In any event this is the difference between a physics definition and a mathematical definition. Math demands quantification and, by extension, measurement. Physics is about understanding qualitatively. This is a semantic but immensely important distinction!

Time demands a comparison between motion of TWO objects. The definition of time is a comparison of the motion of two objects. This is the physical definition (doesn't involve measuring). Time and motion can be understood qualitatively as physical concepts (doesn't require measuring). To quantify time, however, we have to make assumptions and/or have a reference standard. The mathematical definition is how we use the physical concept in our daily lives, by measuring it quantitatively. We measure the locations of A and B. A traverses the distance D and B traverses D/2. The velocity of A is 1 and the velocity of B is 0.5. B takes time 2 and A takes time 1 to traverse D. Of course this demands the assumption that A and B are not accelerating. Instead we could assume that A is not accelerating. Maybe our first measurement says A: D B: D/2 and our second one says A: 2*D B: D+D/2 and our third says A: 3*D B: 3*D+D/2. If A is moving uniformly then B is accelerating. If A is not moving uniformly then we cannot get a conclusive measurement without a third reference. Something has to be assumed or known so we can measure locations at even intervals (like rock-falls or earth-rotations or grains of sand falling through an hourglass or "photons"). But we can only understand it by having a reference standard that we assume behaves a specific way. Quantitative time is a convenient concept.. We don't move through justice or dilate respect etc. These are all concepts that are used as convenient shorthands for (potentially complex) relationships among objects.

I am not against using these concepts. I make ample use of vectors, matrices, and differential equations as a necessity as a graduate student. But we can't get too carried away and reify these concepts into objects themselves. It is the objects that are important! Structures are what matter, they are what do things. My ball or fist can knock someone over but not my anger! My velocity vector or my force cannot DO anything. My FIST does something.
webolife wrote:Doesn't it take time to measure the two locations?
This question is kind of moot now and you should understand why if I've been clear. We don't have to actually measure locations to define motion or, by extension, time. What you are getting at here is that, conceptually, there is always a location between any other two locations. There is no "fundamental unit" of time (or distance for that matter) in physics. This only occurs in mathematics when we try to quantify these concepts. We can't quantify the distance from A to B if its smaller than our smallest measuring brick (a continuous object, the fundamental building block). But Nature doesn't care if you can quantify it! A and B are separated by a distance, whether you can actually measure it or not.

Unfortunately mathematics is so deified today that the result of "fundamental units" is taken seriously. People actually believe that, because your smallest ruler is X long, nothing can be shorter or separated by a smaller distance than X!

This is what leads to the incongruous conclusions when a person applies math to physics without understanding what they're actually doing. They mix physical and mathematical definitions and mistake one for the other. Then they toss out definitions altogether when they forget that physics is the study of objects so mathematics can have no physical significance without objects! When we place ALL our faith in math we are placing ALL our faith on our ability to measure/quantify Nature. As I've shown this has limitations. In physics we explain what happened qualitatively. We try to understand Nature regardless of measurement.

We must distinguish between qualitative (physics) definitions and quantitative (mathematical) definitions. Math is a tool that we use to quantify our qualitative concepts and apply them in life. As you said "doesn't it take time to measure the locations?" This is exactly the point, measurements are inherently subjective, we do it because it is useful. The qualitative definitions explain what happens, it does not demand an observer/measurement. Unfortunately the usefulness of mathematics has clouded people's judgments into equating mathematical measurement/quantification with reality and qualitative understanding. I don't count deer to understand WHY the deer population fluctuates. I count deer to tell the hunters when it's hunting season, but it doesn't let me *understand* anything.

Likewise the definitions of addition and subtraction (objects moving toward and away from each other) reveals the limitation of mathematics very clearly:

2+2=4

This tells me that two groups of 2 objects move toward each other until they fill some spatial criteria. It tells me the initial state (2 groups separated by some distance from each other and separated from every object in the set Z each with two objects separated by some distance) and the final state (4 objects all separated by some small distance, the whole group of which is separated from every object in some defined set of objects Z). But it doesn't tell me HOW they got there i.e. which object(s) moved in which way to give us the final arrangement? Why are they moving? All the equation does is describe what happened because it is a concept. Here I have a row of circles:

O O O

Now I say "the row of circles moved to the right":

_O O O

(The underscore is there because the forum interprets a space as nothing)

I have used the concept "row of circles" to summarize what happened. But it doesn't tell me which circle moved first, how fast, etc. I could even say the "row of circles" moved into a "triangle of circles":

O O O

__O
O O

This doesn't tell me which circles moved which way, it doesn't tell me HOW or WHY this happened. It just tells me the initial state and the final state. This is what an equation does. It is a useful concept because it condenses something complicated into a compact form. But we cannot forget what we are losing when we do so. If all we want are the initial and final states then this is enough, but if we want to actually explain what happened, we will have to talk about the individual circles (objects) themselves, not about the concepts "row of circles" or "triangle of circles". This is why objects are so important in physics. Concepts are convenient shorthands, they leave out information. Eventually the mathematicians go to the ridiculous extreme of foregoing objects altogether. What would it mean, in the above example, to simply say a row became a triangle? You would have to assume the meaning or infer it by context at best. At worst you just trust the mathematician "knows what's going on".
webolife wrote:Perhaps what I offer is a description without a hypothesis, as in your misquote of Newton, who said [from Koyre''s translation] "I feign no hypotheses...[for the cause of gravity]", then went on immediately to suggest an all-pervasive aether.
I am aware of what Newton actually said. His usage of the word "feign" is considered archaic today so I always paraphrase him with "frame" to remain clear to a wider audience. Modern usage of "feign" essentially means inventing a lie or imagining. Newton used the definition at the time "to present".

And yes, I believe you have a description without a hypothesis. Please do not take this as an insult, I respect you, I am just offering my evaluation.
webolife wrote:Is the superiority of one or the other "hypothesis" to be judged on how precisely its terms are defined vs. its compatibility with observed phenomena?
When the presenter of a theory cannot define his/her terms in a single way and use them that way then he/she doesn't have a theory. It's called a "non starter". When someone tells you their theory involves square circles you don't have to listen anymore. It's not a matter of superior/inferior, a theory where the proponent cannot (or refuses) to define the strategic terms he/she uses is simply wrong.

As far as compatibility with observed phenomena, that is the last step in the scientific method. A theory that makes it to this step is considered a valid theory. It's called "valid" because it can define its terms in a consistent way and involves no contradiction. Now we may consider its superiority or inferiority. If a theory can qualitatively explain more observations than another with equally many/complex assumptions we accept the new theory. If it can explain the same observations as another theory with fewer/simpler assumptions we accept the new theory. Note that this is subjective. This is the part where people decide what to believe. This is the step where the physics discussions occur. People in pubs and on forums are (ideally) discussing only valid theories, what they can/can't explain, and which assumptions are more simple/complex.

junglelord

Unread post by junglelord » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:00 pm

You make me laugh.
Its aether that is real and quantified.
TT is a very poor way to try to define aether.
Your right, its not correct to call it aether, as its too far off the mark of being right.
I give you that.
If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have a key to the universe.
— Nikola Tesla
Casting Out the Nines from PHI into Indigs reveals the Cosmic Harmonic Code.
— Junglelord.
Knowledge is Structured in Consciouness. Structure and Function Cannot Be Seperated.
— Junglelord

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:58 pm

junglelord wrote:You make me laugh.
Its aether that is real and quantified.
TT is a very poor way to try to define aether.
Your right, its not correct to call it aether, as its too far off the mark of being right.
I give you that.
Fortunately the structure of the chain clearly justifies its function of producing gravitation and light. Unfortunately for aether it is still very unclear how its structure can justify these functions. You have stated explicitly that the aether is particulate and there is only the force of push in your "Secrets of the Aether, Q&A" thread. You have explicitly compared the aether to air. I'm sure webolife can immediately see the problem with this. Push is a divergent force. Additionally discrete disconnected particles are powerless to explain why light always propagates rectilinear or to justify the observation of pull (gravitation). Your aether is just a rehashing of Newton's old failed corpuscular hypothesis. Particles cannot aggregate.

On the other hand a chain connects every atom and justifies pull between two bodies. Its structure also justifies rectilinear travel. The path that light travels is already there and the chain is taut between the two atoms. Light propagates as a torsion along this straight "highway" between two atoms.

Drethon

Unread post by Drethon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:19 am

I'm curious with thread theory why it is that some atoms are held closer together than others, such as how gasses are low density at the edge of the earth's atmosphere but much higher density near the surface of the earth?

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:48 am

Drethon wrote:I'm curious with thread theory why it is that some atoms are held closer together than others, such as how gasses are low density at the edge of the earth's atmosphere but much higher density near the surface of the earth?
Atoms are closer together than others for a variety of reasons, but your second question is more specific. I am not an expert on earth science but I can state that gravity is a very important factor when considering the changing density of gasses as we leave the surface of the earth. Air molecules are held to the earth by chains just like every other atom in the universe with the atoms closer to the earth held more tightly than those further away. If you've not watched the gravitation video it will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWeYJg9Oxs

Drethon

Unread post by Drethon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:58 am

altonhare wrote:Atoms are closer together than others for a variety of reasons, but your second question is more specific. I am not an expert on earth science but I can state that gravity is a very important factor when considering the changing density of gasses as we leave the surface of the earth. Air molecules are held to the earth by chains just like every other atom in the universe with the atoms closer to the earth held more tightly than those further away. If you've not watched the gravitation video it will help:

I'll try to check it out when I get home but it seems the only free time I have these days is when I'm waiting on a test case result at work and youtube is blocked here.

I was probably unclear with my initial question but I still don't see why based on thread theory we would have areas of higher density/gravity such as planetary bodies. Are the chains shorter for some reason in this are, if so why? What causes atoms that were not originally part of the mass of a planetary body (thus having longer chains due to the original distance?) to be permanently captured (at least until something sufficiently energetic moves them somewhere else) by a planetary mass (thus resulting in shorter chains?)?

(edit: wow, it posted. My computer went all smoky when I tried to send this one...)

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:27 am

Drethon wrote:
altonhare wrote:Atoms are closer together than others for a variety of reasons, but your second question is more specific. I am not an expert on earth science but I can state that gravity is a very important factor when considering the changing density of gasses as we leave the surface of the earth. Air molecules are held to the earth by chains just like every other atom in the universe with the atoms closer to the earth held more tightly than those further away. If you've not watched the gravitation video it will help:

I'll try to check it out when I get home but it seems the only free time I have these days is when I'm waiting on a test case result at work and youtube is blocked here.

I was probably unclear with my initial question but I still don't see why based on thread theory we would have areas of higher density/gravity such as planetary bodies. Are the chains shorter for some reason in this are, if so why? What causes atoms that were not originally part of the mass of a planetary body (thus having longer chains due to the original distance?) to be permanently captured (at least until something sufficiently energetic moves them somewhere else) by a planetary mass (thus resulting in shorter chains?)?

(edit: wow, it posted. My computer went all smoky when I tried to send this one...)
Well the first thing to make clear is that atoms cannot move further away from each other if they're physically connected. Of course two atoms can move away from each other, but what I mean is that they cannot exceed some maximum distance from each other just as two balls connected by a rope cannot move apart further than the rope allows. So this explains why the universe is not completely divergent, why matter doesn't just disperse apart and approach 0 density.

The even more particular observation that matter actually aggregates is also explained by the chain's structure. The ball of each link rattles inside its socket. If we imagine a chain with all its balls rattling like this on the ground before us it would be essentially wiggling in place. If we grab the ends of it and bend the chain down and let go, it will "rattle straight". Fundamentally this is just an equilibrating of the momenta involved. If all atoms are essentially loops of chain they are all trying to "rattle straight". They can't rattle straight, however, because every atom in the universe is pulling on every atom in the universe via this rattling. What they can do is move toward each other, taking in chain between the two atoms, expanding the shell of chain. An expanded shell is more straight than a contracted shell so the atoms will move this way purely by equilibrating their respective momenta.

It's a bit hard in words, does this make sense?

webolife

Unread post by webolife » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Alton, you clarified one thing nicely for me. This time talking about the electron shell "expansion", you included the idea that the chain is being "pulled" in, describing this elsewhere as a "tug" between the various elements of the universe.
Loosely, gravitation. Your theory is essentially so close to mine that I can substitute certain terms of mine for TT terms without changing the rest of the passage context. Of course you persist in not accepting my theory [you say I haven't one], due to your belief that I don't have well-defined objects, which I do in my own thinking... when it comes right down to what ropes "do" you use terms like tug, which I use also, and define as a vector [aka, beam, observed as a spectral array]. My UFT is about the "do's" of the universe, and has several elements that work in a variety of theoretical contexts, from Newtonian mechanics, to APM, to Electrogravitic theory, to EU and plasma cosmology, while matching some of the "whys" and "hows" better in some contexts than in others. Your TT is the closest theory I've read to my own UFT, and while you have a very tight demand for object definition, yet when you describe your objects, you pretty much discuss what they "do" rather than belabor what they look like. Back to the clarification, the "tug" of the "chain" toward the energized atom is precisely the effect I assert is what we see as light. Being connected as we are to every other atom in the universe, this "tug" happens virtually at the instant of the energy shift at the source, even across vast distances. If this can actually be disproven, I hang up my theory here and now. The G-Force of APM is my unified "field" pressure by a different name. Your ropes/chains are my light beams, by another name, differing from mine in your view of the two-way torsion. I still stand by a one-way "tug". Your idea of ropes torsioning, versus the standard model of waves progating, or corpuscles translating, or aether particles [non-material or material] interacting offers no greater physical assistance to me in understanding the "do's" of the universe. My UFT, and the simple experiments supporting it, eliminates wave, particle or wave-particle models, and promotes a radically different option from relativity or quantum mechanics... there is no "uncertainty" in the detection of light, and no requirement for an aether, though some "non-material" descriptions of aether tend to match closely with the geometry of my UFT. My inertia is Galilean, my geometry is Keplerian, and my frame is Cartesian. Gravity, Electricity, Atomic forces, and Light all operate according to the same principle. TT is as direct a match as I have found since I first encountered and began studying my UFT in 1981. The exact definition of electron or other so-called objects has never been a primary concern or necessity in explaining the "do's" of my UFT, although that has been of great concern to you in these threads. I am willing to explain or predict observations from the atomic to the astronomic based on my UFT, and know there is much to learn from the perspectives of others, especially those who wish to challenge [or less respectfully ridicule] my ideas. Let's keep this up.

altonhare

Unread post by altonhare » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:45 pm

webolife wrote:and while you have a very tight demand for object definition, yet when you describe your objects, you pretty much discuss what they "do" rather than belabor what they look like.
Right, once I have made the structure clear, I don't need to constantly reiterate it. That would become obnoxious. The difference here is that my structure justifies my "do's". A chain physically justifies pull. Without defining/depicting the structure originally you can talk about "pull" and "push" and whatever else all you want, but it will always beg the question "Why?". I can observe that this ball moves toward this one, I can talk about the "do's" constantly, but I cannot answer "Why?" without positing one or more structures. The question of "why" is the most important in physics.

You don't seem to understand the importance of the hypothesis, which is understandable, because science has steadily devalued the hypothesis since Newton. You are making the error of excessive empiricism, i.e. you are content with describing what happens without really explaining why it happens. The why question is pretty important don't you think? It can only be answered with structure, because structure always defines function.
webolife wrote:The exact definition of electron or other so-called objects has never been a primary concern or necessity in explaining the "do's" of my UFT, although that has been of great concern to you in these threads.
This is exactly the problem. The scientists wave their hands at things and just describe what they observe. They never delve deeper, into the why. Ultimately, they don't actually understand anything new. All they have done is catalog more observations! You seem so bright and rational in general. How can you not see this?

I would like to clear up my opinion of your theory. I like it better than any other theory so far other than rope/chain. I think you are making a serious attempt at being objective and rational. However I still think you are making the fatal mistake of skipping the hypothesis. You need to physically justify these behaviors. Physics is about explaining in terms of physical causation. We need structures for this.